Friday, October 20, 2006

Three Words..."missional"

Next week we will get into the other two words in this little series of posts. However, we are not finished with our discussion of "missional" but rather moving on to include the other two terms: "organic" and "holistic".

For those of you who have noticed it yet you can click on the "Friend of Missional" link on the right side of our blog and you will be directed to a site that has a lot of discussions about living a missional life. In addition, you can click on the little blue square with a ? in the middle of it, just below the "Friend of..." link and you will be directed to "Mere Mission" another site that has numerous discussions on the topic as well as links to other great sites. (I haven't figured out how to put their icon on our site but I do have the link set up.)

This past week I was reminded of something that Leonard Sweet has said about mission statements. "The church got the idea to have a mission statement from the business world and the church was ten years behind. However, the church has forgotten the fact that it already has a mission statement laid out in Scripture." Do you know what it is?

Here is a re-phrased (and abbreviated) version of that "mission statement". Let me know what you think.

"More disciples, better disciples-in Christian community-for the sake of the world."

4 Comments:

At 5:32 AM, Blogger Melanie-Pearl said...

I just read more from the Blind Beggar's post about examples of Missional Living. I still like Image #2 the best...I think because I have a Missional neighbor like this!

I wish I was the Missional neighbor more. As I read these perfect descriptions of Missional Living I felt a little depressed about not being 100% Missional all the time. I think a more realistic example might be easier to draw from:

Theme #11 Girl who is Neighbor to a Missional Neighbor watches and learns in an unconditional way. Though not perfect, Missional Neighbor causes Girl to soak up new perspectives such as God being Green, God caring for the Traditional, God's look at the heart.
Girl actively goes out & LOVES those around her as well as those brought to her path. Girl seeks ways to bring meaning and missional living to her life and the lives of others. While seeking, Girl finds community with others who are missional. Neighbor & Girl are far from perfect, but still Missional at heart.

 
At 7:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am "thinking" that more of us (myself included) need to be students of Jesus, and take what we learn to the world!?
btw: Where does this verse come from?

 
At 12:25 PM, Blogger The Wheatland Mission said...

The verse is from Matthew 28:18-20. I summarized, paraphrased it.

 
At 7:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have another thought about being missional along with Matthew 28:18-20. It's taking advantage of the opportunities God gives. He gives us many circumstances to act on his purposes to show his love, teach his word and to invest our gifts for the good and the growth of his kingdom.

Hey...now that I said all that I realized it all means the same thing! oh well sometimes we're all saying the same thing just in a different way! QP

 

Post a Comment

<< Home