Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Three Words: Missional, Organic, Holistic

If you are like me you are relieved by the fresh cool air that has descended upon Wichita this past week. It reminds me that we really do have four seasons in this part of the country. (Even if some of those seasons last longer than others.) This cool weather also reminds me of the movement of time and the fact that our little congregation has been together now for over a year. I realize some of you have only been with us for a few months or a few weeks. Others of you started out this adventure with us. I am glad that all of you are a part of this little community of faith. It is an honor and a real pleasure to be serving God together.

Today I want to begin a new series of posts called Three Words. The three words we are going to explore are ideas that I shared in the early days, last fall, of our community. I think each one gives special meaning and direction to the life of our church and to the ministry that God has called us unto. The three words are: missional, organic, and holistic.

I'll begin with the word missional. None of you who read the blog regularly will be surprised that I am including this word in this series of posts. Last year, when the Wheatland Mission was meeting primarily in home groups we discussed what being a missional church meant. I was encouraged when, after a few months of meeting and discussing this subject, I began to hear our people articulating for themselves what being missional was all about. Translating this idea into their own words gave me a clear sign that the concept was taking root.

Today I want to review this idea a little bit by sharing a few key concepts about being a missional church and living as missional people. The word missional sounds a little bit like the word missionary because they come from the same latin root, missio, which means "sending". A missionary is one who is "sent" for the purpose of proclaiming the Kingdom of God, sharing the Gospel, and leading people to Christ. A missional church is one which doesn't primarily consider itself a congregation that "sends" missionaries but as a congregation that is itself "sent". A community of Christians who are deliberately sent into the world in which they inhabit for the sake of Christ, for the sake of those who do not yet know him, for the sake of God's Kingdom.

Throughout our history as a church, even though it is quite short, we have considered it important to give money and resources to the poor and to support various church planting and missionary groups. We have supported inner city churches in Wichita, New Orleans, Haiti and Columbia. This is good and we will continue to share our resources in this way. However, let us take this a step further and begin to see ourselves as the ones who are sent.

Being a Missional Church means that we view ourselves as missionaries to the culture in which we are immersed. We are a people that have been called by God, gathered as community and sent to the world.

7 Comments:

At 1:48 PM, Blogger Missional Jerry said...

great start. Looking forward to reading more.

 
At 8:41 PM, Blogger The Wheatland Mission said...

John, thanks for the reminder. However, I think it fits into the other words and will best be discussed there...I think. We shall see though.

 
At 4:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are people that are sent to the world, I like that. Paul this past week I went to a prayer meeting with one of our Wheatlanders and I was reminded of something. This family prayed for their neighbors "by name" not just one or two there were several and they personally knew them too. Prayers were very specific. This family is ministering in a very real way. What a blessing! This family through the prayer time reminded me of my culture...in my very own backyard! I am once again asking myself if I'm being intentional about being missional? QP

 
At 10:33 PM, Blogger The Wheatland Mission said...

That is an excellent question for us to ask ourselves. We all want to be a pat of God's big mission for the world but how are we doing in the little things, the simple things like getting to know our neighbors (those people who live next to us), befriending them and revealing a little bit of God's love through the way we live among them? (WOW...long run on sentence.)

Nonetheless, this is an important challenge to us all. I know that Christians are typically avoidant of Halloween and with good reason. However, maybe we should think about taking advantage of the one night during the year when our neighbors actually want us knocking on their doors?

Whatever approach we take...let's think about how we can meaningfully communicate the love of Jesus to people in a non-religious way.

 
At 4:18 AM, Blogger Melanie-Pearl said...

Ah, nice thoughts here. I think I sometimes use the icky words "Real Christian" to describe what I think about the term "Missional". I definitely like the word Missional more. Unlike "Real Christian", "Missional" doesn't sound an ounce judgemental.

Though someone might not immediately be able to define the term, I bet they know a Missional Christian when they meet one.

Thankfully, communicating the love of Jesus transcends words and definitions. That said, I find it easier to communicate something that has been given a name, further defined and meditated upon. I look forward to further exploring these ideas.

 
At 7:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoy halloween, besides meaning Fall is here I get to give away candy and tracts and enjoy most of the costumes. We turn all the lights on and play some good non- scary music. I want our home to seem as welcoming and friendly as possible! I know the tract thing probably sounds corny but you never know who's gonna read 'em or how the Holy Spirit is going to minister. I'm just suppose to plant and water so that's what I do on halloween. (maybe sneak in a litte candy bar or two...) smile. Love you all, brother brad

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger The Wheatland Mission said...

A key aspect of living missionally involves understanding how to communicate. We often miss opportunities to share the truth of Christ and his Kingdom because we cut conversations short, or we simply don't allow conversations to develop at their own pace. One way to avoid just such a thing is to recognize the danger of being judgmental. The people around us, and we ourselves, can smell a judgmental attitude a mile away.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home