Friday, January 12, 2007

Room of Marvels

Last Saturday I briefly, very briefly, introduced a book that I want the Wheatland Mission to read together and discuss in house churches and small groups. (And everywhere else for that matter.) The book is called, Room of Marvels by James Bryan Smith. Many of you will recognize his name because he is a theology professor at Friends University and the author of the biography of Rich Mullins that came out several years ago, An Arrow Pointing Toward Heaven.

This little book is wonderful on many different levels and I want to be careful not to spoil it before you have a chance to read it for yourself. I will say this, Room of Marvels paints an unusual picture about what it is like to live in the community that God has created. Many of you will read this short novel in a few hours while others may take a bit longer. Even if your not a fiction reader you will enjoy this little gem.

You can pick up a copy tomorrow or anytime at our worship gathering. We are letting copies go for $5.

1 Comments:

At 6:36 AM, Blogger Melanie-Pearl said...

Loved it! The room for the Spirit to work in the reader's heart is huge.

Initially, I was worried it was going to try and copy one of my favorite books, The Great Divorce. After reading the first 1/3, I put the book down for a few days.

Before I read, I usually pray for whatever I read to impact my life however God wants it to. After reading a bit more of the book, my heart and mind really opened to it.

So, I picked it back up on Saturday morning, sobbed (not because I was sad ???) through the back 2/3rds and finished it before noon. I even stopped several times to tell my kids to quit interrupting me ;), to get some kleenex, to absorb some of the thoughts/words that really hit me.

There were several things that really hit me, but as Paul said, I won't ruin it. It will be fun to talk more about this with everyone.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home